Where? New York
When? October 2017
Airline: Norwegian Air
For €250 return flights, it did the job. Like a long-haul Ryanair flight, we got what we paid for. Newburgh Airport is a good 1hr30 from the city so a shuttle bus drops you at Times Square - there are easier ways, for sure.
Hotel: Hudson Central Park
Proof that looks can be deceiving. 4 Star hotel, gorgeous photos online, cool library bar, alluring reception – all fur coat and no knickers. Our first room had no window and was smaller than a ship cabin. Our second, moderately better. The staff were rude, the place was rundown and filthy, we even got bedbug bites. For $300 per night, it was a scam.
Gym: Hotel gym
We did so much walking each day that the gym wasn’t a priority. The hotel gym was fine but the music system was broken and it didn’t have A/C.
Breakfast: Olympic Flame Diner
Brunch: Gemma’s at the Bowery Hotel
Lunch: Dunkin Donuts tbh, or Balthazar works too
Dinner: For sushi, Shuko. For steak, Frankie and Johnnies
Bar: Top of the Standard or PH-D rooftop
1. Go to a Giant’s Game – been there, got the jersey. Hotdogs and beers are mandatory but regrettably, it seems foam fingers are a fad of the past.
2. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge - find the climbing wall or sit by the river and see the city from the other side.
3. Laugh at a comedy club (Gotham Café/Caroline’s/LoL).
4. Row at central park and cool off at the bar next door.
5. Explore the sea at National Geographic Encounter – leave the hustle and bustle of Times Square and embark on an immersive, interactive journey across the oceans.
6. Shop in Soho - anywhere around Prince St/Spring St or find a gem at the Century 21 runway store near the One World Trade Center. Take a coffee break at the Mercer Hotel.
7. Have an evening tipple on a rooftop bar - Jimmy at the James, le Bain, PH-D.
8. Go back in time at the National History Museum.
9. Eat, eat and eat - donuts, pizzas, sushi, steaks, New York has the best of it all.
10. Take the subway, everywhere. Invest in a MetroCard and you’ll fit right in.